jbulie’s blog would like to extend a huge well earned mega congratulations to hardworking real life sister, Lisa, at OohLaBra.com. Lisa McKenzie is supported by family and friends when awarded the first prize for the sales challenge presented by multinational player Silverline.
In March of this year there was a conference for entrepreneurs called NOEW that stands for New Orleans Entrepeneur Week. I was thrilled when my sister called me a few months ago to tell me that her company, Ooh La Bra was selected as a finalist for more than three contests as the most innovate product. That call put her into the top five contestants as an entrepreneur.
In the following months, I watched my sister practice her pitch down to the last detail, including hair, makeup, market share and future projections.
She’s truly amazing to watch as her friends can attest.
To read more about the contest, follow my twitter feed by clicking here.
Right after winning she was contacted by ABC to be interviewed. You can read and see the interview by clicking here.
Here’s the official press release.
Global Corporations, Investors, Startups to Convene in New Orleans for 5th New Orleans Entrepreneur Week
PR Newswire | February 25, 2013 | 12:52 AM EST
National business executives, entrepreneurs, MBAs, and globally renowned venture capitalists will meet for the 5th Annual. New Orleans Entrepreneur Week, NOEW, on March 16-22, 2013 to share best practices and celebrate innovation and entrepreneurship.
Event headliners include Walter Isaacson, President and CEO of Aspen Institute, Hamdi Ulukaya, President, Founder and CEO of Chobani Yogurt and Dana Mauriello, Director of New Business Opportunities for Etsy.
Additionally, representatives from Fortune 500 companies, the most prominent venture capitalists, and notable entrepreneurs will be participating, including:
- Lisa McKenzie: Founder, President of Ooh La Bra
- Jim Coulter: Founding Partner, TPG Capital, L.P.
- Donna Fenn: author; contributing editor, Inc. Magazine
- Nick Friedman: Co-Founder, College Hunks Hauling Junk, College Hunks Moving
- Patti Greene: Professor Babson College; National Academic Director, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses
- David Hall: Revolution Ventures
- New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu
- Mary Matalin: Political Consultant
- Kathryn Minshew: Founder, The Muse
- Wendell Pierce: star of HBO’s hit show Treme
- Bridgette Sexton: Google for Entrepreneurs
- Margaret Spellings: Former U.S. Secretary of Education; Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Advisory Council
- Alan Weinkrantz: Global PR Expert
- Tina Wells: Founder, Buzz Marketing; Huffington Post blogger; Black Enterprise columnist
New Orleans has one of the most dynamic and engaged entrepreneurial ecosystems in the world and NOEW is its premier showcase event. NOEW is hosted each year by The Idea Village, a 12 year old nonprofit that identifies, supports, and retains entrepreneurial talent in New Orleans. The week-long event is the culmination of The Idea Village’s nine-month Entrepreneur Season, attracting thousands of attendees.
This year, NOEW is expected to gather 3,000 of the nation’s most innovative business leaders, financiers, entrepreneurs, and students to support New Orleans entrepreneurs through over 55 events.
Highlights include Capital Pitch Competitions, which will award prizes ranging from $100,000 to a personalized, guided tour of Silicon Valley’s investment community, and an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Summit that will engage global partners to discuss best practices for sustaining entrepreneurial ecosystems.
All seminars, workshops, and keynotes are free and open to the public on a first come, first served basis.
These events range from one-on-one counseling sessions to specialized workshops on legal and marketing practices. Registration is open at http://www.ideavillage.org
SOURCE The Idea Village